July 20, 2011

Afternoon Delight

This past Sunday I was lucky enough to have the day off from work allowing me to visit the Honolulu Academy of Arts with my family.  I haven't been there forever, easily since elementary school.  I assumed it wouldn't be much, just a few pieces here and there and mostly locally-themed art.  I was completely wrong.  The facility itself was beautiful.  A mix of old and new architecture, there was gallery after gallery filled to the brim with amazing pieces.  The curators at the Academy of Arts really take pride in their exhibits.  For me, the highlights of the afternoon were the Renaissance, Baroque, and Romantic era themed galleries, the Greek sculpture and pottery gallery, and the rotating gallery which this time around held the Artists of Hawaii 2011 exhibit.  If you have the chance to go, check out this gallery before it's gone.  I also fell in love with the Mediterranean Courtyard.  So peaceful and bright. I'm definitely going to make a point to come to the Academy more often.  


Daren Waterston's 'Forest Eater' exhibit.


Donald Dugal
Twenty Improvs on a Bougainvillea Hedge, 2011  Watercolor on paper


Richard Pousette-Dart
Savage Rose, 1951  Oil on canvas


Chandelier in the Romantic Art gallery


Marble statue in Renaissance era gallery



Mediterranean Courtyard




No comments: